M-1 Visa

The M-1 visa provides access to specialized vocational and technical training programs in the United States for international students. Whether you’re seeking assistance with your change of status application or have inquiries about preserving your visa status, our knowledgeable lawyers are prepared to offer you the support and guidance you need.

What is an M-1 Visa?

The M-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows international students to enter the United States to attend vocational or non-academic institutions. Unlike the F-1 visa, which is for academic studies, the M-1 visa is designed for students pursuing vocational or technical training at recognized institutions.

Who Qualifies for the M-1 Visa?

To qualify for the M-1 visa, applicants must meet the following criteria:

a. Admission to Vocational School

Applicants must be accepted by a vocational or other recognized non-academic institution that is approved by the U.S. government.

b. Course of Study

The applicant must enroll in a full-time vocational or non-academic program.

c. Sufficient Funds

Demonstrate proof of sufficient funds to cover tuition and living expenses for the duration of the course.

d. English Proficiency

Adequate proficiency in English, or the institution must provide the required language training.

Need further assistance?
Kindly provide us with your contact details, and our lawyers will get in touch with you shortly.

    What Are the Benefits of the M-1 Visa?

    The M-1 visa offers several advantages:

    • Vocational Training

    Allows the pursuit of full-time vocational or technical training in a wide array of fields.

    • Duration of Stay

    Initially granted for the duration of the course or up to one year, with the possibility of extension.

    • Transfer Opportunities

    Possible to transfer between vocational schools within the first six months of the program.

    What Are the Required Application Documents?

    When applying for the M-1 visa, applicants must submit:

    • Form I-20

    Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant Student Status, issued by the school.

    • Form DS-160

    Online Non-immigrant Visa Application.

    • Passport

    A valid passport.

    • Financial Evidence

    Proof of financial ability to cover expenses.

    • Visa Fees

    Receipts for applicable fees.

    • Interview

    A visa interview may be required at the U.S. embassy or consulate.

    Dorukhan was my partner's lawyer and helped them with their case in the US. He did an amazing job helping them through their process. He and his team were always easily reachable, very thorough, and helpful throughout the whole process. Eventually, he became my lawyer, too, when my partner and I got married, and I couldn't have asked for a better and easier experience. I will definitely return to Oguz Law in the future for any needs that I have. Thank you, Dorukhan and your team!
    Tessa B.
    I'm very satisfied with Oguz Law's service. Dorukhan is a very professional lawyer who helped me with everything I needed during my immigration process - which was a success! I'm grateful for all he has done, and I totally recommend Oguz Law!
    Camilla F.
    I recommend them to my friends. Mr. Oguz and his team did a good job before and during my immigration interview. If you are looking for a lawyer to represent you, don't hesitate to go forward with them.
    Farahim A.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    M-1 students may only engage in practical training after completing their studies, and it must be related to their vocational program.

    Transferring from M-1 to F-1 status is generally restricted. Consultation with an immigration attorney is recommended for individual cases.

    M-2 dependents may engage in part-time study, but full-time study requires a change to the appropriate student visa category.

    M-1 students are granted a 30-day grace period to depart the U.S. after completing their vocational program.

    M-1 students can engage in practical training, but it must be related to their field of study, and they must apply for authorization.
    Change is imminent, solutions are our tradition.