J-1 Visa

The J-1 visa serves as a pathway for cultural and educational exchange, providing opportunities for individuals from around the world. If you need assistance with your change of status application or guidance on complying with your visa requirements, our team of experienced attorneys are here to offer you the necessary support.

What is a J-1 Visa?

The J-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa that provides countless opportunities for international visitors to experience the United States through various exchange programs. This visa is used by students, scholars, interns, teachers, professors, au pairs, and other individuals participating in programs that promote cultural exchange.

Who Qualifies for the J-1 Visa?

The eligibility for the J-1 visa depends on the specific exchange program. Common criteria include:

a. Program Sponsorship

Applicants must be sponsored by an authorized program designated by the U.S. Department of State.

b. Program Type

The applicant must qualify for one of the approved J-1 program categories, such as Intern, Trainee, Student, Teacher, Professor, Research Scholar, or Summer Work Travel.

c. English Proficiency

Adequate proficiency in English to participate in the program.

d. Insurance Requirements

Adequate medical insurance for the duration of the stay.

Need further assistance?
Kindly provide us with your contact details, and our lawyers will get in touch with you shortly.

    What Are the Benefits of the  J-1 Visa?

    The J-1 visa offers several advantages:

    • Cultural Exchange

    Promotes mutual understanding between people of the U.S. and other countries.

    • Diverse Opportunities

    Offers a wide range of programs for educational, professional, and cultural growth.

    • Work and Study Options

    Allows participants to work or study based on their specific program category.

    What Are the Required Application Documents?

    When applying for the J-1 visa, applicants must submit:

    a. DS-2019 Form

    Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status.

    b. DS-160 Form

    Online Non-immigrant Visa Application.

    c. Passport

    A valid passport.

    d. Program Fees

    Receipts for any applicable fees.

    e. Interview

    A visa interview may be required at the U.S. embassy or consulate.

    Dorukhan was my partner's lawyer and helped them with their case in the US. He did an amazing job helping them through their process. He and his team were always easily reachable, very thorough, and helpful throughout the whole process. Eventually, he became my lawyer, too, when my partner and I got married, and I couldn't have asked for a better and easier experience. I will definitely return to Oguz Law in the future for any needs that I have. Thank you, Dorukhan and your team!
    Tessa B.
    I'm very satisfied with Oguz Law's service. Dorukhan is a very professional lawyer who helped me with everything I needed during my immigration process - which was a success! I'm grateful for all he has done, and I totally recommend Oguz Law!
    Camilla F.
    I recommend them to my friends. Mr. Oguz and his team did a good job before and during my immigration interview. If you are looking for a lawyer to represent you, don't hesitate to go forward with them.
    Farahim A.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Work authorization for J-1 visa holders depends on the specific program category. Some programs allow for employment as part of the cultural exchange.

    Yes, some J-2 visa holders may apply for work authorization once in the U.S.

    Some J-1 visa holders may be subject to a two-year home country physical presence requirement based on their program and funding sources.

    A change of status may be possible but depends on the specific program and whether the J-1 visa holder is subject to the two-year home-country physical presence requirement.

    The length of stay depends on the specific J-1 program category. Some programs may allow for extensions.
    Change is imminent, solutions are our tradition.